Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Padres: Day 4, San Telmo, Casa Rosada, Cafe Tortoni, Congreso

Day four was a busy one. My mom wanted to see some tango, so I took her to la Boca. This is the neighborhood where a lot of italians mass immigrated to Buenos Aires around the turn of the century. They built tenements and painted them with the brightly colored paint left over from the boats they came on. Now, it's basically a tourist trap. But I knew my parents would love it, so... here we are.





So, my mom started off shopping a little; seeing the sights. Basically behaving herself.


Then I took them to a restaurant where you can watch really good live tango dancers.




Then it got out of hand. There are no words.



Here are some pictures my dad took of the buildings etc. in la Boca.





After going to la Boca, my parents were still ready to keep going so I decided we should go to the Casa Rosada - the presidential house, or the Pink House.

The famous balcony where Eva Peron supposedly gave her speech relinquishing her bid for the presidency.


Mom and Dad aww.

Me looking annoyed.

Me looking excited.

La Casa Rosada.


And then there was this. My mother loves to torture me.


Then we walked down Avenida de Mayo toward the Congreso. Of course, my mom found shopping along the way. I had the lovely task of translating.

Buildings along Avenida de Mayo.

We stopped in for a drink at Cafe Tortoni, the oldest cafe in Argentina.

This is her "you're never getting out of shopping with me" face.
Mom and I in front of the Congreso.



Mom and Dad at the Congreso.


The Congreso.

Oh, and here's the kicker. Mom, doing what she does best. Emailing everyone at work. (I'm lookin' at you, Lawnwood.)

No comments:

Post a Comment